SEO Case Study Jan26

Tags

Related Posts

Share This

SEO Case Study

As most of us have found out over the last few months, it’s getting harder and harder to rank well these days unless you’ve built a site around a brand. Because of this, I decided to do a joint venture with someone else to test out a relatively new SEO method a few months ago. Unfortunately I can’t say what the method is / what the URL is / what the keywords are etc. but I’ve been told by a few people that they’d still like to read about a case study using this method.

The first site that we used this method on is doing brilliant so far. A week or two after we started using this method, we had sales coming in pretty much every day, and at the moment it’s ranking for some extremely competitive search terms. For example, it’s currently ranked first for a search term that has around 15,000 local exacts and every other site that is on page 1 are large brands that everyone has heard of. That’s just one of the many keywords that the site is ranking well for by the way, there’s plenty more although most have a couple of thousand searches a month. I have to admit, when I first started using this method I thought that there was a decent chance of getting slapped within a week or so, but this site has been ranking well for the past 2 months. Even the latest Panda update that happened a few days ago didn’t have any effect on the site.

So, we decided to put together another site to see if it’ll work just as good. However, this time the search terms that we’re targeting are even more difficult. We’re basically trying to copy what we done last time to see if it’ll work again or not. I plan to update this daily so that you can see how fast the site ranks (hopefully anyway!).

Information about the Site

  • The domain was only bought a few days ago, no past history.
  • The domain isn’t an EMD.
  • There are only 7 pages on the site, and that’s including contact pages etc.
  • There’s roughly 2,000 words of unique content on the site.
  • The site is built using WordPress.
  • Monetised using affiliate links.

Keywords being Targetted

Although I can’t say what the keywords are for obvious reasons, here’s the amount of local exacts that the main keywords that we’re targeting get (rounded up/down by a few hundred):

  • Keyword #1 27,000
  • Keyword #2 12,000
  • Keyword #3 4,000
  • Keyword #4 1,000

Keyword #1 and keyword #2 would usually be nearly impossible to rank for, but with this method I really wouldn’t be surprised if this new site ranks well for it.

Daily Updates

As I said, I’m planning to update this daily so that you can keep an eye on whether this method works or not. I’m only going to mention where the site is ranking on Google by the way, and I’ll be using Ahrefs to see how many links are pointing towards the site. Here’s the table which I’ll be updating daily:

Backlinks Unique Visitors Sales Keyword #1 Keyword #2 Keyword #3 Keyword #4
Day 1 4 0 0 NA NA NA NA
Day 2 15 0 0 NA NA NA 35
Day 3 29 5 0 NA NA NA 38
Day 4 34 6 0 NA NA NA 6
Day 5 57 35 0 11 11 NA 6
Day 6 65 20 0 10 11 7 6
Day 7 73 29 0 10 11 10 8
Day 8 73 24 0 10 11 7 4
Day 9 74 32 0 11 9 8 4
Day 10 78 22 0 10 9 7 4
Day 11 107 45 1 10 11 8 4
Day 12 126 23 0 11 8 8 4
Day 13 143 33 0 11 9 8 4
Day 14 149 36 0 80 6 7 4
Day 15 158 39 1 10 6 7 4
Day 16 169 64 1 7 6 6 4
Day 17 176 48 1 10 7 7 2
Day 18 188 135 3 2 9 6 4
Day 19 188 132 2 2 8 6 4
Day 20
188 131 1 3 8 5 4

Update: After 20 days I’ve decided to stop updating this case study, if you want to know how the site is getting on now just get in touch!